Formerly known as Xicheng District, Qingyang District is located in the core area of Chengdu, with an area of 67.78 square kilometers. It is named after the famous Qingyang Taoist Temple in the district. The three sides of the southwestern area of the Qingyang District are bordered by Wenjiang District, Shuangliu District, Wuhou District and Jinniu District, and the east and west sides are adjacent to Jinjiang District and Chenghua District.
Qingyang District has a deep history and is one of the birthplaces of ancient Sichuan civilization and poetry culture. It has the most outstanding historical sites of Chengdu, such as Du Fu Caotang, Jinsha Site, Kuanzhai Alley(Wide and Narrow Alley).
In Tang Dynasty & Ming Dynasty, the Mokechi and the Palace of Royal Highness (also known as the “Imperial City”), its core location is in the Sichuan Science &Technology Museum and Chengdu Sports Center in Qingyang District. The “Mancheng” (also known as “Small City” or “Shaocheng”)，where the Eight Banners of the Qing Dynast stationed, covers the west to Tongren Road, east to Dongchenggen Street, north to Xiaobei Street, and south to General Street of Qingyang District.
As the political, cultural and scientific center of Chengdu and even Sichuan Province, Qingyang District is renowned for its superior location, profound cultural heritage, solid industrial base, good living environment and development environment. It is gradually becoming famous at home and abroad. The cultural tourism holy land and the hot land of investment & development of corporates.
In September 2018, the “White Paper on the Development of China’s Top 100 Districts in 2018” was released in Beijing and Qingyang District was elected as one of the top 100 regions in China in 2018.
Qingyang District governs 14 streets: Taisheng Road Street, Caoshi Street, Xiyuhe Street, Wangjiagua Street, Shaocheng Street, West Xinhua Road Street, Caotang Road Street, Funan Street, Guanghua Street, Dongpo Street, Jinsha Street , Huangtianba Street, Supo Street, Wenjia Street
Famous Tourist Sites
Chengdu People’s Park
Located in Shaocheng Road, Citang Street. Chengdu People’s Park covers an area of 112,639 square meters. It is a comprehensive garden integrating cultural relics and leisure. The park was built in 1911. The park has famous tourist attractions such as Jinshui River, Jinyu Island and Bonsai Garden. The park has one national key cultural relics protection unit and four municipal cultural relics protection units. Chengdu Park is a national “AAAA” level tourist attraction.
Huanhuaxi Park is the core area of the Huanhuaxi Historical and Cultural Scenic Area. It is located between the First Ring Road and the Second Ring Road in the southwest of Chengdu. It is connected to the Du Fu Caotang in the north and the Museum of Sichuan Province in the east. The park is divided into three major theme parks, Wanshu Mountain, Canglang Lake and Egret Island.
Qingyang Taoist Palace(青羊宮)
Located in the second section of the First Ring Road in Chengdu. Qingyang Taoist Palace is known as the “First Taoist of Western Sichuan”. It is also the oldest and largest Taoist temple in th e Southwest China, and the famous Taoist temple in the country.
Qingyang Taoist Palace was built in the Zhou Dynasty, formerly known as Qingyangsi. In the first year of the Emperor of Xizhong (Tang Dynasty, AD 881), during the uprising of Huang Cao, The Emperor of Xizhong took refuge in Qingyang Taoist Palace, and used this as his palace. After he returned to Chang’an, he allocated money and give it the current name.
In the Ming Dynasty, the temple built by the Tang Dynasty was destroyed by the cival war. Most of the existing buildings were rebuilt six to ten years (1667-1671) in Qing Dynasty during the sixth to tenth year of Emperor Kangxi.
The Jinsha site is located at Qingyang Avenue, Jinsha Street. It is another major discovery after the Sanxingdui site in Sichuan and even the entire Chinese archaeological community. It consists of many ruins such as the sacred area, the palace area, the cemetery, and the living area. It is a block-shaped open-arched ancient capital city.
There are more than a thousand pieces of precious cultural relics unearthed, most of which were in the late Shang Dynasty and early Western Zhou Dynasty. The “Sun God Bird” unearthed was used as the “Chinese Cultural Heritage Logo”. The entire museum covers an area of about 300,000 square meters and consists of five parts: the relics, the exhibition hall, the cultural relics protection center, the garden area and the tourist reception center.
Du Fu Caotang(杜甫草堂)
Chengdu Du Fu Caotang Museum is located at No. 37, Qinghua Road, Qingyang District. It is the former residence of the Chinese Tang Dynasty great poet Du Fu. Du Fu has lived here for nearly four years and has created more than 240 poems. At the end of the Tang Dynasty, the poet Wei Zhuang found the ruins of the Caotang, re-established and made it preserved. During the Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties, Du Fu Caotang have been keeping renovated and expanded.
Wide and Narrow Alley(寬窄巷子)
Wide and Narrow Alley (Wide means Kuan, means Narrow in Chinese, so it also was known as Kuanzhai Alley) is located near Changshun Street, Qingyang District. It consists of wide alleys, narrow alleys which are arranged in parallel with all antique-style-modeled brick courtyards. It is also a large-scale Qing Dynasty ancient street left by the history. Together with Daci Temple and Wenshu Monastery, it is known as the three historical and cultural city protection streets in Chengdu.
Wide and Narrow Alley is a national AA-class tourist scenic spot. It has won the title of “Chinese Commercial Pedestrian Street” in 2009, ”Sichuan Provincial Historical and Cultural Street”, ”2011 New Chengdu Ten Scenery”, and ”Sichuan Top Ten Gourmet Streets”.
Wenshu Monastery built in was built in the Sui Dynasty (AD 605-617). In the thirty-sixth year of the Emperor Kangxi (1697), the temple was rebuilt and renamed as Wenshu Monastery. It is one of the national key Buddhist monasteries identified by the State Council, the first of the four major Buddhist site in the upper and lower reaches of the Yangtze River in China, and the key cultural relics protection unit in Sichuan Province. It is a Buddhist holy place that integrates the Buddhist holy shrine, the ancient garden architecture, the pilgrimage and the religious study.
Wenshuyuan covers an area of more than 200,000 square meters. The existing buildings are typical of the ancient style of the western Sichuan Plain. The all-wooden building, the six-fold main hall is on the central axis of the mountain gate, and it is tremendous and magnificent.